To accompany the narrative in the book, I also want illustrations. This will not only help it feel like a child’s story book but intrigue the reader too.
Each illustration will help to convey parts of the story and add context.
Originally I was going to get Charlie to do them but he is too busy with animation and now Rhian is going to take over instead.
I want the illustrations to be really sketchy and water colour-like to create the illusion that someone had to quickly scribble down the events whilst escaping.
The list is as follows.
- Environment establishment – Trees, Mountains, Sky. Any form of landscape.
- Ice Wizard looming over kingdom – Torso, head and hands of wizard king looming over the top of a town, looking menacing and evil laughing. Not much detail needed in town as long as its recognisable.
- King and Queen – (Vasilisa’s parents) in some form of despair, either hugging each other and crying or looking scared. try to make the background very “royal” Lots of gold and florets ect.
- Baby Vasilisa – from mothers perspective, Vasilisa wrapped in a blanket in mothers arms looking cute.
- Baby Vasilisa – change illustration on face from neutral to happy.
- Unsure on what to have for this one. this is the quote “The king and queen kept the child hidden and raised her in secret for many years, but eventual word spread over the kingdom.”. I shall let Rhian draw whatever she likes for it.
- Ice Wizard – in his fortress going mad. Extremely angry and agitated. This is his line of dialogue to help convey his anger “How dare someone challenge my magical power! No one can beat me! And I’ll make sure they never do…”
- Destroying towns – a town destroyed by ice or fire. Shows ice kings rampage.
- Escaping – The king, queen and Vasilisa escape their castle under the cover of darkness into a forest.
- Vasilisa alone – Vasilisa wakes up in the forest alone.
- Vasilisa calling to her parents – either left or right.
- Vasilisa walking – Vasilisa walking through forest, set of illustrations so it can be built into slight animation. Vasilisa walking normally, struggling because of snow and then covering her eyes as shes being battered by the storm.
- Vasilisa meets Otto – Vasilisa looking up as a large shadow from otto looms over her. Keeps Otto a mystery for now.
- Otto – Kneels down in front of vasilisa so he can talk to her better. make sure he looks friendly and kind.
- Otto – same illustration but with Ottos hand on Vasilisa’s shoulder
- Cottage – Tucked away in a clearing within the forest, not very big or well looked after.
- Otto entering – Otto stood inside doorway with Vasilisa. Mouth open so it looks like he’s talking.
- Otto Olga and Vasilisa – all stood together, olga is looking down at Vasilisa not looking happy that she is there.
- Olga – same illustration but now Olga is looking at Otto instead, still not happy.
- Otto – Putting on big coat and scarf
- leaving – Maybe Otto is stood next to the door but it is closed. Olga has hands on hips looking angry at him with mouth open to make it look like she is talking. Otto also has mouth open.
- Leaving – same illustration but now Olga is shouting at him and looking very angry, Otto has now opened door.
- Olga and vasilisa – sat either side of the fire waiting, Clock above fire place. Leave clock hands blank so i can animate it moving to show time passing.
- same illustration – but now olga is sat forward looking worried.
- Olga – talking to Vasilisa as she leaves the cottage.
- Searching – Olga is frantically searching the forest for Otto, the storm has now passed.
- Otto – Frozen solid
- Olga – on her knees in front of it crying
- Same illustration – but change facial expression to angry.
- Olga returns – to the cabin and shouts at vasilisa.
- they both leave – where the game begins.