Making of the Cutscene

After the meeting with Adrian I decided to use a mixture of 4 different softwares, Adobe Photoshop to create the book entity, Adobe After Effects to Animate the pages, Audacity to record the voice actors and finally Adobe Premiere Pro to edit and put the whole cut-scene together.

Photoshop

The original open book file didn’t have enough pages so I had to add in a few extra ones to bring up the count. Once they were in place I started adding the illustrations in the correct order so it would be easier to animate once put into After Effects.book cover.png

Due to the restrictions put in place by what I can achieve in After Effects I decided to make the book animation slightly different then I had originally planned. I changed the book cover to a more generic name and style so it would also make sense for the story to start halfway through the book.

 

I then added the actual title within the book so it would seem like a new tale to be told.

book open.png

My final task was to write out each individual line of text so I could make it fade in and fade out in time with the audio. I also had to plan out the layout and positioning. This would make it easier when importing them into Premiere Pro.

 

After Effects

ae

Once I was done in Photoshop, I Imported the photoshop file into After Effects. This allowed me to retain the layers making it easier to use a tool CC Page Turn. For every page I would have to drag the layer to the top, make the keyframes and then save and move onto the next one. The funniest bit was actually sorting out the keyframes as I got to move the pages exactly how I wanted and then it was a breeze to just copy and paste. This is an example of my page turn effect before I had chance to add the illustrations.

I exported each page separately so it would be easier to import into Premiere Pro and meant I didn’t have to worry about having the correct timings to match up with the audio and text.

Audacity

My next task was to edit the audio in Audacity. I first broke down each separate recording into the best spoken lines. Once broken, I imported each line of dialogue and arranged them chronologically so I could see how the dialogue sounded all together and could work out which ones would need adjusting before importing into Premiere Pro to make them more uniform.

auda.png

From this I learnt that Ottos dialogue needed to noise reduction to smooth out the audio and decreased by 2 for sound. The Narrator needed to be increased by 10 to make it more powerful and bold. Olga’s and Vasilisa’s were both increased by 5 to be more clearer and the wizard remained the same.

Once everything was sorted, I split the dialogue up into individual sound files and them ordered then chronologically so it was easier to arrange when I import into Premier Pro.

order

Premiere Pro

Once I had assembled all the files I would need to create the cutscene, I began to put it all together. I started by going through each illustration. I then imported the text on top of the animation and png files, lining it up on the correct page. Once all the visible files were in place, I began to order the audio and adjust the text time to fit it. I also added transition effects to all the text to make it fade in and out.

As well as the audio, I also downloaded 2 sound effects, a page turn and a wind chime. The page turn was to add realism to the animation and the wind chime helped to create a whimsical and fantasy like atmosphere. I applied the wind chimes the beginning sequence when the book cover zooms in to make it seem magical.

When I first tried to create the cutscene, half way through, my composition broke. Somewhere a page turn audio had become invisible and I could not find it or delete it. To fix this I exported the first half before the break and then imported it into a new project.

I used a variety of effects to create the intro and outro. for the intro I used the fade to white effect as well as key-framing a zoom in animation. I then applied the same methods for the outro but i also had to adjust the positioning so the illustration fit better on the screen.

I then exported in 1080p and awaited the music. James then sent me the backing track and edited dialogue so all I had to do was import it, line it up, crop the end, add a fade out.

Once it was all done, I compressed it to a MP4 so it would be easier to import into Unity.

pp

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s